Michael Londrigan: the Man behind the Book

Michael Londrigan—author, educator, and former businessman with 28 years experience under his belt in the menswear industry—shares his personal life and tastes in the first half of this exclusive 2-part interview with Men's Fashion by Francesco.

Tell me about your upbringing...
I was born and raised in Jersey City, NJ, one of six children, third oldest. My father was a police officer and my mother a homemaker. My parents took good care of us with what they had. When it came time for college, it was up to me to pay the way, so I loaded trucks from 6-12 pm, six nights a week while a freshman in college. As a sophomore, I took a job with Morgan Guarantee Bank in Manhattan, working from 10 pm to 6 and going to school full time during the day.

Did you ever dream of doing what you do today?
I had no clue I would ever end up in the position I am in today. After I graduated from St. Peter’s College in Jersey City, I took a day job at the bank. But it was not for me.

What led you into the clothing industry and, specifically, menswear?
I applied for a position with JC Penney (when they had their corporate office in Manhattan) and was offered a job as a catalog control buyer. I was assigned to the menswear department and, from there, promoted to an assistant buyer. After several years I decided to try the wholesale business, and the rest is history.

How did you wind up teaching at LIM College?
I first starting teaching 15 years ago at FIT; it was a very political atmosphere and almost soured me on the entire teaching idea. I was there for two years and was not reappointed. Through a series of events (companies closing, divisions closing, relocating) I wanted a change and got back into teaching. I started with Berkeley College in New Jersey and made the switch to LIM College last July when I was approached by a search firm when LIM was looking for a Chair of the Fashion Department.

The US has undoubtedly produced world famous menswear designers and labels. At the same time, I do hear the comment from others that men in the US do not dress stylishly. Do you disagree?
I do disagree with that statement, as the US is a very big country with many different dress codes around the nation. So when one looks from another country or visits from another country, they are going to tourist areas and not seeing the stylish types. They are not seeing the fashion innovators. Sit in an airport and look at what men are wearing, and it is no wonder that this is the impression from outside the country. If they are not businessmen wearing suits or sport coats, then many (not all) look a little slovenly. I know you are from Italy and men pride themselves as being always well-dressed, but you have to take into account different cultures. The US is that melting pot and accounts for all sorts of different looks, and that adds to the richness of the menswear industry.

Do you prefer a certain period of menswear?
Partial to the 70’s, I am a t shirt and jean kind of guy.

What is your favorite men's look?
My favorite look is a great wool suit matched with a great dress shirt and tie!

Thank you, Michael, for acquainting us with the man behind the book!