Halle Berry on Vogue's September Issue Cover

It's Magazine Rack Thursday here at T Lo! Apparently!


Darlings, Halle Berry graces the cover of Vogue's all-important September issue.

Darlings, Halle Berry is the first black woman to grace the cover of Vogue's all-important September issue since Naomi Campbell did it in 1989.

Darlings, that is a fucking DISGRACE and Anna Wintour should be hauled down to the Conde Nast HR Department for some much-needed diversity training.


Naomi Campbell in 1989, Beverly Johnson, the first black woman ever on the cover of Vogue in 1974

Y'know what else pisses us off? The fact that in order to be both black and on the cover of Vogue, you have to pretty much be legendary. A nobody like Sienna Miller farts and she gets the cover, but if you're dark-skinned, you need to have a trailblazing, legendary, award-winning, first-name-only recognition kind of career in order to get there. It's really gross how racist the American fashion industry can be even now.

Ugh. But enough bitching. Let's take a look.

US Vogue September Issue

Photographer: Mario Testino
Fashion Editor: Tonne Goodman
Hair: Oribe for Oribe Hair Care
Makeup: Linda Cantello for Giorgio Armani Beauty
Set Design: Peter Klein for Frank Reps.

As usual, soundbites from the interview:

On her first interview in three years: “I was burned-out with having other people tell the story about me that they wanted to tell. I told my publicist, ‘I’m not going to talk anymore. I’m just going to live my life and be who I am.’”

On being asked to be on the cover of the September issue of Vogue: “What that means for a woman of color and what that means in the fashion world, what that means to pop culture, there was no way I could say, ‘No I’m not going to be on the biggest issue of the year.’”

On the “Oscar curse”: “Everybody talks about the Oscar curse,” she says. “People win Oscars, and then it seems like they fall off the planet. And that’s partly because a huge expectation walks in the room and sits right down on top of your head. The moment I won the Oscar, I felt the teardown the very next day. I thought, If I’m going down, I’m going down taking chances and daring to risk. Hence…Catwoman.”

On her appreciation of the female body: “I love the naked female form…. I just feel like that’s the most empowered position you can be in.”

“That comes with age,” she says. “I’ve been slowly getting there. If the world wouldn’t persecute me, I’d take nude pictures every day of the week.”

On her relationship and breakup with Gabriel Aubry:
“It’s just that you realize you are not meant to go the distance with everybody,” she says. “We were meant to bring this amazing little person into the world. And I think that’s why we came together. And because of that, we are going to be together forever, all three of us. We are a family until we are not here anymore.”

"I'm not done with love, but I refuse to settle," says Berry. "I am a hopeless romantic. I won't stop till I get it right."

"Every story about me is so heavy and dramatic. That's not how I do life."


If the world wouldn't persecute me, I'd take nude pictures every day of the week."


"I have a new focus that's outside myself," says Berry of being a mother to Nahla, age two.


And the pics:
Escada Fall 2010 Collection [House of Lavande duet clips]


Vera Wang Fall 2010 Collection. [Lorraine Schwartz diamond-and-black jade earrings]


Giorgio Armani Fall 2010 Collection. [Stephen Russell earrings. Fred Leighton bracelets]


Marc Jacobs Fall 2010 Collection [Stephen Russell diamond sautoir and bracelets.
Fred Leighton emerald-and-diamond bracelet]


Giorgio Armani Fall 2010 Collection [Lorraine Schwartz black jade-and-diamond cuff]

Well, she's stunning, of course. It's Vogue and she's Halle Berry. Kinda hard to get that one wrong. We're not fans of her acting at all, but we have to admit every time one of her Revlon commercials comes on, we stop and watch. She is, no way around it, an amazingly beautiful woman, who not only doesn't age, she actually seems to get more attractive as she gets older. There's a womanliness to her now that she didn't have ten years ago. A knowing sexiness that comes with age and experience. She can't deliver a line to save her life, in our opinion, but the gal takes a mighty purdy picture.

But to be honest, we hate the bob. We're hoping that's a wig.

[Photo Credit: vogue.com/style.com/wwd.com]

Post a Comment

Labels: , ,