FADI—a Sexy Arabian Model Going Designer

Dark, handsome, virile—the kind of guy everybody wants to take home to mamma… So meet Fadi, a striking Arabian model going designer!

For weeks, I had been searching for models and designers of menswear in the Middle East when, all of a sudden, I stumbled upon Fadi’s profile on MySpace called Arabian Fella. Captivated not only by his photogenic looks but also his life journey, I decided to request an interview with him.

To my pleasant surprise, Fadi agreed!
Fadi, it is a immense pleasure to meet you… Tell me, where you are from?

I was born in Beirut, Lebanon, in 1978 of a Lebanese father and a mother with Saudi origins. At that time it was the war between Lebanon and Israel. And the funny thing is that my mother couldn’t go to the hospital to deliver, so she gave birth to me at home.

So, is Lebanon where you grew up?
I grew up the first 18 years in Lebanon and was educated at a Catholic school there. Lebanon used to be the best country for education in the whole Middle East. After that, my mother convinced me to move for a better business life to Saudi where my uncles live, and I lived there the rest of my life.

Do you live in Saudi Arabia now?
I moved last year to London to achieve my Master's Degree in Design and to pursue my PhD in the future.

How did you start modeling?
I began modeling by chance. I was off to do a passport photo for my school at the age of 17 for my official final exams and I met one of the agents there who suggested beginning modeling and, since then, the story began.

What is the modeling industry like in the Middle East?
At that time in the Middle East, modeling was still a taboo...not so many models around, you can count us on 1 hand, in a way.

And in Lebanon?
Lebanon was the first country in the Middle East that has professional good-looking Arabian models.

So, how did you feel about that first job?
The start was a joke, just an excitement in a way. But afterwards, it began to be more and more serious till it became my profession for a while. But I was always convincing myself that modeling is my hobby.

What did your first jobs entail?
The first big job I had was when I was selected “exclusive” for Iceberg in the Middle East, for a year, which was in 2000. I was young and very happy and proud about myself. After that I did Replay, Guess, and other well-known brands.

Was it easy to establish a name for yourself?
…I always felt that, what makes a model famous, especially a male model, are not catwalks but print ads and commercials. Not all the people are fans of fashion shows. But everyone watches a TV commercial by chance between TV series or passes by a print ad while walking in the street. And I guess this is what made me known lately, in a way, after my Head and Shoulders ad, which was sponsored for the World Cup 2002, besides other TVC ads in the Middle East and Gulf.

What about recent jobs?
The last great job I did was MED underwear in 2007, which took a lot of success and exposed me to the European market. So far I didn’t find myself in any new brief. I am waiting for the right one.

So, what is next?
My next job is in the USA; I cannot talk about it yet, since nothing is serious. We are still discussing it; but it is a new underwear campaign for a well-known brand.

Now you are in London… How do you find the modeling scene there?
Unfortunately, London is not my market. They prefer here skinny and blond guys. The United States and Italy work better for me, as I’ve been told by the agencies in London. But I cannot move countries based on my modeling career. Modeling was and will always be only my hobby. Especially now in my age, I am considered more as a “role” model. Most of the models are in their early 20s.

How do you view yourself?
I always say my profession is “Designer/Creative Consultant.” But unfortunately people always and only link me to modeling.

Will you continue to model for long?
I have no clue when I will really stop this business for good; I am focusing now on my business as designer, which affords for me a great future and position as a businessman.

You mentioned that you are in London for design studies…
Yeah, I moved to London to achieve my Master’s in Design; I did my studies in one of the best universities in the world, the University of the Arts London. Many famous people have been graduated from this university like John Galliano, Alexander McQueen, and other designers and artists.

What are your aspirations after graduation?
My plan is to open my own design studio, dealing with corporate identities, print media, design furniture, interior, and everything that has to deal with color, shape and space.

How would you describe your sense of style?
I like the mix between classic and modern. I don’t like simplicity, neither the abstract...

Sophistication is beautiful if it is done in the right way. And that applies to interiors, clothes, and everything I have to deal with in life.

To view a complete portfolio of Fadi, please visit his profile.

Photos Copyright Arabian Fella.