Seattle Student Designer Competition: Lennura Zhataganova

So, Lennura, where are you from?
I’m from Ust-Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan, the capital city of the Eastern Kazakhstan region, but I grew up in a village called Bolshenarim (trans. Big-River), about a five-hour drive from Ust-Kamenogorsk.

What attracted you to fashion?
I want to help people enhance their looks and feel good about themselves.

How did you discover your talent?
My passion for fashion began in early childhood, when I was cutting curtains, table cloths, my mom’s wedding dress to make clothes for my dollies. Anything I could cut and make into something else, something more beautiful, I would find and cut. Ask my mom about all that, she has a handful of stories...

What motivates you as a designer?
I don't really have an inspiration. I design as I go. I will start with a basic shape and begin adding elements that complement it. Then I will add some interesting detail. I prefer classic, modern, geometric shapes, clean cuts. I find clothing of a Bastle period very attractive and flattering, so I think my designs carry some elements of that era: fitted jackets and full on the backside of the skirt.

Have you received any formal training?
I am currently a student in an apparel design program at Seattle Central Community College in Seattle, WA. Prior to this, I had no formal training, other than working on various projects for friends and family throughout the years.

What aspirations do you have for your future?
I want to be able to start my own business one day. I’d like to help people to look their best and be able to express themselves through their garments.

As an emerging designer, where do you stand on issues like sustainability and apparel?
I am very supportive of this and I want to be a part of the green and ethical fashion movement. It's our responsibility to be good stewards of our planet, so we need to take good care of the earth by creating less trash and reusing and recycling what we can. I’d also like to do away with sweat shops and protect people who work so hard and are, unfortunately, paid so little.

I know very little about Seattle's fashion scene...
Seattle fashion is very diverse and people who live here like to express themselves through the clothing they wear; it's a good arena for fashion.

Do you have any words for the students of fashion in New York at LIM College who will be reading?
Seattle fashion has a different taste, a different feel; it’s definitely expressive and holds true to many green and ethical standards. It’s a west coast vibe, where comfort and reliability are key ingredients, but it tries to be true to what’s in style and what makes sense…practicality is the driving force amongst Seattle fashion.