Seattle Student Designer Competition: Yomary Muñoz

Nice to meet you, Yomary. So, where are you from?
I was born and raised in Puerto Rico.

Now that you live in Seattle, how does your Puerto Rico play a role in your life as a designer?
I come from a country that is rich in culture. The Puerto Rican race is a mix of races—African, Spanish and native Indians known as “Tainos"—and in the past decades we have been highly influenced by the American culture. They have become part of our race and culture as well. All of these influences, the knowledge, and education I have acquired in my life make me a designer that can understand the needs of most consumers.

Fascinating! So how did you get started?
I always felt passionate about the fashion world. I loved how people look, wearing different styles and accessories that make them look unique. When I was growing up, I started to learn what kind of colors and styles look better, depending on the color of the skin and body shape. This was when I became interested in the fashion world. I started to design styles for my sisters, cousins, friends, and for myself. I always try to create a unique style for each person, taking in consideration their personality and physical features in order to achieve that “wow factor” that makes them stand out from the crowd.

You said that you began designing while growing up...what ignited such an early spark?
I began to design when I was 12 years old. I always wanted to know if I had the same artistic ability that my father had. So I started to draw many things including human bodies. Then I started to combine my artistic side with my passion—fashion design. I started to play with different body shapes, then, tried different styles on them until I felt satisfied with the final product.

Do you derive inspiration from any specific source?
My inspirations come from different sources: people, life styles, nature, history, technology, etc. The world, life, and the way we live all inspire me.

How do you interpret these into clothing?
I take elements or ideas from the sources I mentioned above to create the themes. I pick one or a combination of those themes as my muse. Then styles and ideas start to flow spontaneously!!!

It definitely seems like you inherited the artistic ability of your father! Do you have a designer icon?
I don’t have a favorite designer, but I like the work of many fashion designers, such as Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, Donatella Versace, and Valentino.

Any favorite looks or trends in history that attract you?
My favorite look is one that has a touch of elegance and sensuality. The period in history that attracts me is the Regency Era. I like it for its dresses and the different trends worn during this period of time. The Regency era was, in my personal opinion, a time of elegance and beauty.

I like that combo of elegance and sensuality. What difference do you see in formal training vs impromptu designing?
I’ve always designed and creates outfits on my own and learning from my family. However recently I started taking classes in the International Academy of Design and Technology (IADT) in Seattle, WA. During these years of study, I have acquired knowledge and skills in pattern drafting, clothing construction, fashion sketching, fashion design, textiles, etc.

So how will you apply your technical background as a designer?
As a designer and engineer I plan to contribute to the apparel industry and to the technological advance in the fashion world. I consider myself as a big dreamer with a lot of creativity, skills and knowledge that will make me able to satisfy many of the fashion needs. With all my experience and education I want to make a difference in the fashion world.

I always like to ask designers about green fashion...
I think it is a niche in the fashion industry that many designers have been conscious about for the last few years. Green fashion, ethical fashion, or eco-fashion is a movement supported by environmentalism, and economics, among others. Personally I am glad that many designers and companies are making a big effort to create and produce products, taking into consideration their impact on our planet.

As someone who originates from a different culture, how do you view Seattle's fashion scene?
Seattle's fashion scene is influenced by many cultures. The values and ideas of the populations are diverse and make it difficult to categorize. Seattle fashion designers are creative and innovative, and this makes it one of the most socially conscientious fashion communities. Seattle is recognized for the green designer movement, and it was the first to host the first Green Fashion Week on the West Coast in 2007. Other eco-conscious fashion shows in Seattle are the Eco Lavish Fashion Show and the Fashion Ethic "Eco Chic" Show.

You are pretty knowledgeable of the green scene! Okay, how about some final words to your co-student designers at Manhattan's LIM College and other institutes around the world?
I would tell them my favorite saying, "the best friend of success is perseverance and education, and its enemy is ignorance and procrastination." Every person in this life has dreams and unique talents to reach their goals, so just find them and go for them.