Francesco Scognamiglio Speaks Frankly with Fashion Times

As you may well know, I prefer to write all my articles from scratch, while each interview is conducted directly by me.

Nevertheless, since I share close origins with designer Francesco Scognamiglio (and also the same first name), I could not help but translate the following interview, which was conducted in Italian by Fulvio Aniello for Fashion Times.

For a more in-depth background on Francesco Scognamiglio, please read my first article From the Ashes of Pompeii.

When did you understand that you wanted to enter the world of fashion? What formative journey did you choose?
Fashion entered my life at roughly the age of 13, but ever since childhood I have always loved to design and paint… from the holy to profane, from the church Madonna’s to nudity… right up to dressing her. A logical journey, I would say.

How do you remember your experience at Maison Versace?
It was friendly with the Maison, especially with Donatella. To be exact, I never worked in the design office but rather I interned in the production of campaigns and special events, thanks to a friendship and great respect that I nurtured yesterday, like today.

How much does art play in your collections?
I don’t believe there is a connection between art and my collections, but I do believe that both can coexist in a unique journey guided by creativity.

Is there a common thread between your origins and your creations?
A continual evolution of style on a journey through innovation and research, combining the avantguarde with pure historical retrospect.

In what way has the crisis been able to influence your latest collections?
The crisis is involving the whole global economic system. Fashion is one of the most affected sectors like that of textiles, but the big players suffer the most. I am an author and the car I drive is not yet huge, but just a luxurious used Jaguar.

To what extent does a garment’s quality and price play a role? What are the materials that you like best?
The way things are today, luxury has no price, but the price must make the article a luxury. Much attention must be paid to the choice in order to stay in the range of prices that are desirable and do not scare the client, with a rigorous Made-in-Italy manufacturing: natural silks, technological fabrics, but also the wools of grandma’s overcoat.

In 2008, you hit it big in the US thanks to Madonna, who wears some of your clothing in her music video. What relationship do you have with celebrities?
Celebs for me are also my friends, common women like others, but with much desire to be pampered and made beautiful. I like to choose the coolest women in the world, rather… I’m fortunate because today they choose me.

I heard through the grapevine that Anna Wintour has shown appreciation for your work. Can you tell us how it went?
A sincere normal encounter. A woman of great sensibility and culture, for whom I nurture the greatest esteem. Well, since she’s already called me to duty says everything.

How much do you think the communication of fashion influences the increase of eating disorders like anorexia?
As long as the only influence comes from you reporters who ask such questions. Fashion and its communication do not have any link to eating disorders.

Any next projects?
A boat at the sea…

Photos Copyright Fashion Times.
Article by Fulvio Aniello translated and published with permission by Fashion Times.